In Reply to: Greetings from a New 2002 owner!.....and some Q's posted by Chipmunk on March 07, 2000 at 10:55:58:
Check the archives for info on starting up '02s that have been idle for a long time. Don't just try and crank it over. In a nutshell, you need to do the following.
1. Drain and flush the radiator. Replace with a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze (aluminum compatible) and deionized water. New hoses everywhere. If you got the bucks, recore the radiator and buy a new thermostat.
2. New battery
3. New plugs, cables, distributor cap, points.
4. Replace the oil and use Marvel oil (check the archives on this one) and hand crank the engine to flush the oil passages, etc. Be sure to spray some Marvel into each cylinder 1st.
5. Rebuild or get a new carb. New filters everywhere.
6. Get rid of the old gas, flush out the gas lines with some sort of solvent. Replace all flex hoses in the engine compartment and back at the tank.
7. Rebuild the brake system entirely and new brake fluid. Also the clutch hydraulics too.
You got a lot of work ahead. Also get a copy of Mike Macartney's "BMW '02 Restoration Guide" and talk to Paul at Maximillian's in MD. Their ad is at the top of the page.