The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums
Re: Cold Air conversion...(more) (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ 2002 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by Dahveed on March 11, 2000 at 12:46:05:

In Reply to: Air Filters/cold air induction, sorta posted by Alan on March 11, 2000 at 06:22:44:

Right on, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out:

How do you completely surround the filter element with an airbox that doesn't hit the hood, and is wide enough to flow a good amount of air to the filter.

Top End Performance sells something, listed on their website:

The page takes a couple minutes to load. Go to the bottom of the page, on the left, where it says "carburetor and air cleaner adapters".

It's basically I want: something to enclose the top of the Weber and have one or two (they sell both) outlets for intake tubing that connects to a remote filter.

I called Steve at TEP and he said he doesn't recommend using them (even the dual-snorkel one) as he says it doesn't flow enough air. He said it should only be used for forced induction (blower/turbo) use only.

I just don't believe him, and will probably buy it one day, with both single and dual-snorkle top covers, and experiment with it myself.


: I bought a "bugpack" (yes, I know it's blasphemy) air filter housing/gauze fliter after having the same problem with the K&N one Dahveed had. The 2 main reasons I went with this one were 1) after spending 40 bucks on the K&N, I wasn't in the mood to spend 40 more (this one was 14 bucks) and 2) it looks pretty sharp, has that weberesque stlying with chrome and the little side clips. A good deal if you ask me. I know you can get something very similar at for about the same price.

: -As for the cold air, I was thinking about using aluminum to make a surround which would fit under/around the open air filter. Now, here's the tough part. Somehow, you'd have to get a round section fabricated to run the ducting from the grille in. I'm going to work on it once my car gets on the road. It sounds confusing at this point, but it is still early in the research phase. My main concern is making it look decent, and not using any duct tape.
: -alan
: 74 02
: 79 320i

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ 2002 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk. Logo © 1997 - 2018 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.