In Reply to: Re: car buying dilema - your thoughts wanted posted by Peter S - saga continues on April 29, 2000 at 11:23:46:
: : I neglected to mention in my original post that I had not yet seen the Jag, but got a thorough description of it only. However, I just got back from seeing the Jag. I think the sellers price is in line with what these generally go for but it just goes to prove that I will have to be willing to spend more $$$ for the condition of this particular car type I'd be willing to take at a minimum. In other words, the Jag I just saw is too rough for me to want to buy, even at half the price. Its just not in a decent enough condition for me to want it. This brings to my attention that for the sort of project I can afford or otherwise take on, I have to rethink what the car is. A 2002, even this 76, is cheap enough to start with in half decent condition. If the body wasn't in such great shape I'd forget about it. I'll wait to hear from the seller of the Bimmer Saturday to see where we're going with this. I really don't think I should go higher in the price I offered for it. As it stands we met half way with what I orignally offered and her last counter offer. Though your idea of waiting further still for 73 or older model does sound rather appealing. While there are a few listed within a 30 mile radius, most are out of the price range I can afford. And I want to get started on it now though! Patience needed here!
: : Side note:
: : A gutted and rusty Ferrari for example is still serious money for most of us where-as the same condition Ford Pinto can't be given away. Apparently a poor condition 2002 is still half the price or less of a same condition Jag.
: : One last thought. The Jag tonight had a rough running, poorly installed Chevy V8 in it. But it sure had a hell of a lot of grunt to it! Man did it go!
: As I said above, a Jag for this sort or money just isn't worth getting into, for me at least. So that idea is out for the moment.
: I just got a call from the seller of the BMW. She wants $1000 FIRM. She's putting a lot of value (somewhat rightly so) on the body, but the engine, smog and other mechnical issues outway the body condition.
: To recap: Seller knowing little about the car and condition wanted $2000. After inspecting it I thought it was worth about $800 and offered $700. Seller then said she wants $1000. A week goes by and I meet her half way and offer $850. She says she was thinking maybe she should donate it to charity instead. Today, a couple days later she says she won't take less than $1000 FIRM. She also mentioned she would hate to see the car in the neighborhood all running and cleaned up. Hmm. I guess she's creating a premium to see/not see the car again? Weird. I told her to call me in a couple weeks if she doesn't sell it by then. I also mentioned that if she donated it to charity it was likely be scrapped - true.
: I know we're only $150 off here but all things considered I think $850 is what its worth, and I think she'll have a hard time selling it for more.
: Peter s
If she is serious about donating the thing to a charity just find out which one. I purchased a 74 2002A with no rust, good interior, and less than 90,000 miles on the odometer from The Salvation Army for $100 in 96.