In Reply to: Survey: Cars owned prior to the '02? posted by Nick Pon on April 29, 2000 at 20:49:57:
1) '69 2002 - Florida, sunroof, I had no clue about '02s but learned a lot with that car. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Eventually succumbed to rust and I made the guy who bought my 1600-2 take it (see below).
2) '66 1800 - Paid way too much, but this was a neat car. Kind of a cross between a Bavaria and an '02. It started my Neue Klasse affliction! Eventually sold to someone who was going vintage racing. I wonder if it ever made it to the track...
3) '02 parts cars - If you're young and thrifty (i.e. have Checking Account Light), you have parts cars. I once bought an '02 just because it had a Weber carb. Really! Sometimes you have to part 'em out because otherwise you'll try to rescue a basket case.
4) '71 2500 - A good friend had this given to him and we put it in my name (cheaper insurance) and shared driving duties. The car had been sitting for a while and we arbitrarily set a 100mph maiden voyage limit, but it just felt too good! 105... 110... 115... It met its demise in a head-on accident (but not on its maiden voyage, thank goodness). Fortunately, nobody was seriously hurt.
5) '71 1600-2 - A good friend (yes, the same one as above) gave this car to me with the stipulation that I put it on the road and drive it. I got a few good years out of it before selling it in the package deal with the '69. It still lives on with a BMW CCA club member.
6) '91 Nissan Sentra SE-R - My '91 2002... bought new and a real treat. My first and only new car. Went to Mid-Ohio and brought home a lot of local SCCA Solo II trophies. I put over 230,000 fast fun miles on this car! Sold just last year to my sister when I bought #9 below.
7) '66 1800ti - 'The Project' I thought I still needed a BMW when I bought my Nissan. This one came to live in my garage and is still there.
8) Neue Klasse parts cars - a couple of 2000s and an 1800 worth of parts are going to eventually get the 1800ti on its feet.
9) '88 535i - The big six illness resurfaces. What a fantastic car! But nowhere close to the Nissan in reliability. Just too many things to go wrong and at luxury car prices no less. I sunk a bunch of money into it and then traded it for a...
10) '73 2002tii - A good friend (how about that... the same 'friend' again ;) bought this ex-California car from his uncle and then spent a ton of money on the restoration. It still needs some TLC and $$ to finish it, but its a solid tii with all its original body panels. A keeper!
11) '85 Toyota Camry - 'The $500 beater' because I couldn't afford to keep the 535i and buy the tii. Has more spunk than my wife's Civic. I can park it anywhere and don't have to worry about hitting shopping carts!
I have to say that the beater/'02 combination is a good one. Nobody cares about your beater car (including you) and everyone comments on the '02. Life is good... I'm driving an '02 again!