Posted by Daryl Welsh on November 15, 1998 at 19:17:56:
In Reply to: I never considered a Lexus. Only C230K or A4 2.8Q posted by Frank N. on November 15, 1998 at 19:07:36:
I haven't had any problems with my car (328 E46)in the short time that I've had it, and a co-worker hasn't with his (323 E46). He's had his almost six weeks now and has greater than 1500 miles.
I too was a little hesitant about buying a first year model, but felt that there were several factors that helped push me over the edge.
1) The car's been on sale in Germany since May (meaning the production line has been rolling retail vehicles since Dec97 or Jan98).
2) Because its a new model, BMW does 4 stringent QA checks along the line, instead of the normal 1 (this according to our dealer who was briefed by Chris Bangle, BMW's lead designer for the new 3-series)
3) A lot of the aluminum and body issues are similar to that of the 5 series which has been in production since late 96 for the 97 model year.
4) I didn't want to buy the last year of the E36 model line, and didn't want to wait an extra year or two in the hopes that possible bugs were found and ironed out.
5) Test driving the cars made going to an Acura or Lexus unthinkable.
6) The last BMW I owned was a '83 633 that had over 200,000 miles on it when I sold it, and was solid, so I believe in BMW's long-term stability.