The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums
Re: Cost of Cal. purchase (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ 3-series/M3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by Joe on November 16, 1998 at 07:54:52:

In Reply to: Re: Cost of Cal. purchase posted by BDA on November 15, 1998 at 21:40:50:

: But then can you drive it home? I was told by a dealer in Berkeley, CA, that I had a choice of paying CA sales tax when I registered the car in CA, or having it shipped to Oregon, or taking a chance on driving it home and getting caught driving an unregistered vehicle...

As I said I have done this twice. I live in Ohio but have bought cars in Oklahoma and Michigan. Each time, after I paid for the car and proved I was a resident of Ohio, the dealer gave me the paperwork for the title and gave me temporary paper tags. No sales tax was charged. Then I drove it to Ohio, went to the title bureau and paid all my fees including sales tax and got my Ohio tag. In Ohio, you can drive on temporary tags for 30 days. If I would have been stopped during the 30 days that I had the temporary tags, it would have been no problem since I was still within the time limit to register the car. I cannot believe that Calif requires non residents to pay sales tax on cars going out of state. Try to find the website for Calif sales tax laws.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ 3-series/M3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk. Logo © 1997 - 2018 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.