Posted by Edward Hong on December 21, 1998 at 21:32:14:
In Reply to: tint recommendations posted by Jackson on December 21, 1998 at 18:42:38:
I just bought a 1999 323i and going through the same decision making process...but I live in Toronto, Canada. There are a few things to look out for when getting your car tinted.
1) Make sure you get a lifetime warrantee on the window tint (against fading, peeling, adhesive problems, bubbling...) and a lifetime warrantee on labour (just in case something does go wrong).
2) Make sure the tinter agrees to tint the back window in ONE PIECE! If he/she can't then go to another tinter.
3) When tinting the back window, make sure he/she agrees to remove the 3rd brake light before tinting and puts it back when finished. You don't want the tinter to tint around the brake light....looks dumb.
4) Get a pure metallic or metallic/dye hybrid tint. These usually have a lifetime warrantee and do not fade (turn purple) over time. Also, they have the best heat rejection.
5) Go to http://www.iwfa.com/docs/automotive.html to see what your state laws are for auto tinting.
6) Go with either Solargard (www.solargard.com) or Llumar (www.llumar.com) brand tints. Solargard being the better one. I heard these are the best on the market. Llumar is a bigger company though.
I'm going with Solargard High Performance Charcoal (sputtered aluminum) with 32% transmittance. This tint is a hybrid metallic/dye but it has a lifetime warrantee. The Solargard Quantum is their only pure metallic tint but it has a fairly reflective which a lot of people don't like.
I hope this answers a lot of your questions...