The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums
Huh? (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ 3-series (E46) Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by igor on December 29, 1998 at 13:50:03:

In Reply to: Been there ~ done that posted by Brian on December 27, 1998 at 08:43:48:

A Canadian address for the short term? How does one do that? Rent a PO box? Use a motel address?

: I'm Canadian and lived in the US for 11 yrs. Bought all my cars in Canada for the same reasons - less money to begin with and you buy tax free!!. Your prices are acurate - 44900 base, sport pg 3 = 7600 these are Canadian numbers... makes it much cheaper to buy in Canada. You don't need to be a Canadian citizen to buy and you can get your taxes back!!!!! There is a nifty little program called NAFTA. Buy your car in Canada - you will need a Canadian address for the short term and need to have the dealer license the vehichle so you can drive it away. Head directly to your nearest border crossing and go home. You now have 30 days to re - license the vehichle with your home state tags. Take a copy of your state registration and original bill of sale (showing the taxes you paid in Canada)and mail it to Revenue Canada and wait for your money. In a month or two you will get a cheque a nice thank you note saying "thanks for buying Canadian! There are few little details to be aware of (other than the metric conversion) - let me know if you want more info.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ 3-series (E46) Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk. Logo © 1997 - 2018 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.