Posted by ///MJ on August 14, 1998 at 15:12:40:
I've been going round and round long enough... from the M3 4door, 95 525, 94-95 540, 98 Camry, 98 4runner,98 528, and the 91-93 535. Based on our situation (baby on the way), and budget, my wife and I have decided to pursue the 91-93 535i stick.
We love the older body style. It's big enough for the entire family, ABS and air bag for safety, has power and stick to make it fun to drive, and when the funds are available I throw on all the toys to make it one BAD street machine... (the Jim C. chip, the Dinan suspension, the AC Schnitzer body kit, and AC Schnitzer or M5 rims) : >)
(Actually after reading the lengthy discussion about after-market chips being worthless, I may have research the chip idea in more detail before I buy one.
Anyway, So-far everyone I've talked to has good things to say about our 535i choice. So I decided to write to the board (all you experts) to get some feedback in the following areas:
1) Are all three years (91-93) about the same in performance and reliability? Is there a best year?
2) Are there any particularly problematic area (i.e. the water pump or the motherboard... etc.) that we should be aware of??
3) Does anyone have a 535 (91-93) for sale; Original owner preferred, all record, low mileage, fair price, any color?
4) How about pricing? I have seen 91s at $13K to $19K, 92 haven't seen any, and 93s at $21K-$25K.
One particular car is in FL (93 with only 48K miles) is going for 23K. Does that sound reasonable?
5) How does one go about shipping the car across county? (FL to CA).
Is it safe or do you get lots of dings?
How much should shipping cost( FL to CA)?
6) How about extended warranty? Who do I call? I called a local dealer who says they will not insure a car purchased elsewhere.
7) What are the normal service intervals after 48K miles?
Your guidance, experiences, remarks, comments, jokes, opinions, even flames will be appreciated.