Posted by Jim Cash on September 24, 1998 at 10:20:06:
In Reply to: 528 or 5xx uprated or 540 ? posted by Allan on September 24, 1998 at 08:46:42:
: I was told by BMW Msia that a near perfect balance is 528A looking at these features :-
: 1) steering is differ
: 2) no aluminium suspension ??
: 3) heavier engine
: 4) bla bla ....
: is that true ? or simply bcoz he does not have 540 in stock ???
The differences described are true. The 528 is an overall better "balanced" car.
- Front/rear weight balance is closer to 50/50
- Car is much lighter. 540 is more nose heavy which can effect understeer a bit.
- yes the steering is different 528 has R&P while the 540 has recirculating ball - latter is less sensitive.
- standard wheels are 15" on 528; 16" on 540iA; 17 on 540i.
- Suspension components are still aluminium on both, but the front subframe is iron in the 540 (supposedly required for crash protection with heavier engine.
- 540 has slightly larger brakes - needed for extra weight.
Depends on your driving style requirements. Either car can go the same speed - the 540 gets there faster, butthe 528 probably feels better balanced in curves, etc.
Other factors of course are that the 540 has some options and trim styles that are not available to the 528 (without making a special order).
I have the 540iA - but it was a tough choice and ther are times when I would prefer the 528.
Hope that helps.
London, Ontario, Canada
BMW CCA 102929
You will get better