Posted by Jim Cash on January 10, 1999 at 17:42:02:
In Reply to: Rear Speakers posted by SteveF on January 09, 1999 at 21:57:34:
: I'd like to change the rear speakers on my '99 E39.
: But how do you get to them? Removing the grill
: does not reveal any screws, and the frames of the
: speakers are not visible in the trunk. Help is
: Steve (540iA)
You have to remove the entire package shelf cover and then the speaker enclosures are removable.
To remove the package shelf:
- remove rear head restraints - pull up & out.
- remove seats (or fold down rear seats)
- remove inside liner panle of C pillars (pulls off - remove light first - pulls out)
- remove 3 child seat teather points if you have them - plastic screws)
- remove rear vent grills - pull up at front and then pull forward - rear tabs pull out of slots on frame.
- remove fasteners along front of package shelf trim.
- unfasten seat belts at floor - so they can be retracted through the package shelf when removed.
- remove any fasteners on the underside of the package shelf (trunk side) - if you have the rear blind it is fastened there with 3 nuts.
- package shelf should now pull/lift out - probably needs some lifting and jostling to clear some of the internal items.
Note - this is easier to describe than to do - have fun!