In Reply to: Battery drain after 1 hour cellphone charge? posted by RP on January 29, 2000 at 02:35:00:
Batteries convert chemical energy into electrical energy. A healthy car battery stores considerable energy. Ever try turning an engine by hand? Well, if your car battery were drained, all that energy would have to go somewhere. Your hypothesis is that your cell phone is the culprit.
If true, your cell phone would have consumed all that energy in one hour. It would be hot to the touch, if not melted. Keep in mind that headlights consume a fair amount of current, and a healthy battery con operate them for some time while retaining enough energy to start the car. (I've never tested this intentionally, and never on my E39, but it's worked on my American cars.)
Even in charge mode, your cell phone draws less current than the lights. And if your cell phone battery could store the energy that once was in your car battery, you would have a unique battery indeed. (Yes, the charging circuit uses energy too, but that energy is dissipated as heat. Unless the phone was roasting, this is not a likely sink.)
More than likely, you have a marginal battery or electrical system. There could still be a fault in your electrical connector/cord/charging system/etc., but unless you noticed considerable heat in your cord and/or phone, it isn't likely.
I'm sure Jim Cash will offer the definitive word.
: Last night, I left my Startac cell phone charging in my 2000 540 for 1 hour with enigne off. I did not realize that the cigarette lighter port stays on even with engine off.
: Anyways, when I got back to the car after dinner, the would not start on it's first try. Since it has the autoignition, no sound whatsoever during the start. I removed the cell phone charger from the cigarette port. Waited a few seconds and then try again. It started as normal.
: Perhaps the cell phone took enough charge from the battery to a level where the autoignition could not start the car?? Is this possible with a 1 hour charge with engine off?