In Reply to: 2001 5 series/in Canada posted by A.Fraser on July 05, 2000 at 15:52:08:
For all models, standard equipment will include the cosmetic changes mentioned previously here on the board including:
- white indicator lenses (ie. clears) front and back
- new front bumper, with slightly more flaired bottom corners and round fog lights
- rear lamps use "brilliant optics"
- headlamps have lighted rings around all four lamps
- new kidney grill has chrome outline like the M5
- body side mouldings change from black to body colour. 540 has chrome strip included.
Important functional changes include:
- all models get standard rear side airbags with head protection system
- all models get in-dash CD as standard eqpt(except with NAV)
- xenon headlights standard on all models
An additional major new option for the 540i and 540iA is the M Sport package which includes
- electric sport seats
- M sport suspension
- M steering wheel
- M aerodynamic kit including M5 front bumper and rear spoiler
- anthracite roof lining
- M-light parallel spoke wheels
The 525i comes with manual climate control, heated seats, heated steering wheel, glass sunroof, 16 inch cross spoke wheels. Other posters have mentioned the engine size difference, but it is a smaller 6 than the 530i.
The 530i comes with automatic climate control, montana leather, vavona wood trim, heated seats and steering wheel, glass sunroof, 16 inch wheels (new type). The engine details are posted elsewhere, but this is a major revision that is purported to noticably improve torque throughout the rev range compared to the 528.
The 540i comes standard with 17 inch wheels on the automatic. I think these are the 16 spoke radial that has been standard on the 6 spd. There are no changes to the 8 cylinder engine.
The NAV system screen will be changing to a 16:9 aspect ratio, and is rated at 6.5 inches. Cassette is an optional replacement for the in-dash CD (ha!) but only if not NAV equipped.
Other options remain as in 2000.
I have read on the board that colour changes in the US include deletion of the Biarritz Blue, and addition of Steel Blue (my favorite) and Topaz Blue. I expect these colour changes to be in Canada too.
540 and 530 transmissions will include Steptronic, but I'm not sure about 525.