I just finished a week long trip with my new 528i (7.5k miles on it) through France and Germany and have several problems to note and hope BMW NA is reading so they can further develop and refine the ultimate driving machine.
* I did purchase the BMW bike rack, and although it is not the best looking system, it is a good working system and I used it to secure two mountain bikes. My overall fuel economy was hindered by 5mpg however, and I never went above 90 mph on the autobahn.
* I got a small chip on the passenger side windshield from a small rock :(
* I liked the steering of the E34, the E39 steering feels a lot like a Honda now, not as smooth and powerful as the E34
* The trunk lid definitely needs a small motorized closer function. The trunk is designed so that it is very hard to shut with one slam, and then you are not always sure if it is shut. The way to beat this one is if the car has a motorized trunk closer like Lincolns do, that way, once the trunk is shut within 5 inches of being closed, the motor automatically closes the trunk. This will also reduce the amount of scratches to the paint on the trunk causes by wedding rings when shutting.
* Onboard digital compass is a must, especially in Europe where roads to not always go N to S, or E to W. I would love to see the addition of this function! I of course do not have the Navigation System.
* Automatic headlamps would be a good option too, ones that turn on at dusk and auto off after turning the car off.
These are just a couple of my comments that I noticed from driving the car on a long trip. Other than those listed above, the car performed beautifully and I love it!