The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums
Re: Guys, I could REALLY use some help with this.. (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ 5-series (E39) Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Cash on July 09, 2000 at 11:33:13:

In Reply to: Guys, I could REALLY use some help with this... posted by Lon on July 09, 2000 at 04:30:23:

: I posted the following request for info several days ago, and received no responses. I can't believe that no-one here has ever changed a tire yet. The car is going in Tuesday for car memory programming and I would like to be able to grill my sales rep intelligently over the missing tool, if it is supposed to be there.
: Originally posted question:

: I recently purchased a lightly used 2000 528iA, and in reviewing the owner's manual regarding changing a tire, it says "take the alignment tool from the onboard tool kit and insert it together with the plastic insert into one of the bolt sockets". In the accompanying picture there is an arrow pointing at a long stud sticking out of one of the wheel bolt holes - obviously meant to
: facilitate mounting the wheel until you can get a bolt or two in.

: I can't seem to locate this tool. Is it supposed to be there on all cars, or is it excluded for some years/models/wheels? (I have the sport pkg with 17" two piece wheels - my car is an early production 2000 with only a four speed automatic.)

: If you have this two-part(?) tool, I would much appreciate knowing it exists and, if possible, the BMW part numbers for it (marked on the tool?).

: Thanks,
: -=( Lon )=-

That tool came with the tool kit in my car (97 540i/A - Canada).

It is stored in the slot between the handles of the "water pump pliers". (Left side).

The part you are looking for is called a "pin" - for the E39 it is part # 71 11 1 093 774.

I actually never use it even though I change my wheels several times a year. But it would be useful if you ever had to change a wheel in a location where you are having difficulty seeing the mounting of the wheel. Or on the front wheels which rotate easily while trying to position the wheel.

Jim Cash

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ 5-series (E39) Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk. Logo © 1997 - 2018 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.