In Reply to: e-32 sloppy oil filter removal any hints posted by Scott Kennedy on December 23, 1999 at 21:08:13:
This procedures works well:
1. Engine should be warm.
2. Remove oil cap from value cover.
3. Remove drain bolt, let oil drain and leave bolt removed.
4. Place a towel around the filter canister and loosen but don't remove cap. This allowing air to enter. Oil will slowly drain from within canister. Approx. 5 minutes.
5. Remove filter from canister and replace with new filter. Also replace the small o-ring from the tip of the canister bolt and large o-ring from canister cap.
6. Tightening torque for center bolt per manual is
M10 or M12 bolts - 24 ft-lb.
7. Reinstall drain bolt with new copper washer.
Tightening torque is M12 bolt - 18 ft-lb
M22 bolt - 44 ft-lb.
The secret to reducing oil spill is to allow enough time for the oil in the canister to drain.
Hope this helps.
90 735iL 74K