In Reply to: e28 or e39 - your opinion please. posted by Jeff on February 02, 2001 at 09:48:41:
I am now in a better financial position and could afford to move up to a 2001 530i. However, I am really torn over whether I should make the move. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:
Pro (in favor of upgrading):
1. My e28 may last forever, but it has and will need repairs and maintenance every year - sometimes expensive maintenance. I spent about $1k each of the last 2 years. 2. For at least the first 4 years, the e39 will not cost me anything (warranty).
3. The e39 is a far safer car - airbags, traction control, etc. Although the visibility is not as good.
4. The e39 has far more cool gadgets and electronics.
5. The e39 is more powerful and, I think, more fun to drive.
6. I would do Euro Delivery of the e39 - a memorable experience I am sure.
7. My e28 still has some value. If I wait until something major breaks, it will be a more difficult sale.
1. $40k+ to buy the e39.
2. Insurance bill will double.
3. I live in NYC and although I park off street in a gated lot, NYC is not very new car friendly.
4. I drive less than 10,000 miles per year.
5. The e39 is do for a redesign in two years - I could wait until then.
6. I love my e28.
I have become obsessed with this decision. My wife is no help as she does not care either way - "A new car would be nice, but I am happy with our current car."
Also, 2 cars is not an option as I have only one parking spot in the lot and a second is prohibited.
Therefore, I appeal to you BMW zealots for opinions.
Keep the e28 for all of those good reasons (I share the same reasons) and increase your 401k contributions. Your retirement will thank you!!
Dan in BFL