In Reply to: e28 or e39 - your opinion please. posted by Jeff on February 02, 2001 at 09:48:41:
So here is the situation. I currently own a 1986 535i with about 150k on the clock. I have owned it about 5 years and have spent the time and money to keep it in perfect working order.
I am now in a better financial position and could afford to move up to a 2001 530i. However, I am really torn over whether I should make the move. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:
Pro (in favor of upgrading):
1. My e28 may last forever, but it has and will need repairs and maintenance every year - sometimes expensive maintenance. I spent about $1k each of the last 2 years. 2. For at least the first 4 years, the e39 will not cost me anything (warranty).
3. The e39 is a far safer car - airbags, traction control, etc. Although the visibility is not as good.
4. The e39 has far more cool gadgets and electronics.
5. The e39 is more powerful and, I think, more fun to drive.
6. I would do Euro Delivery of the e39 - a memorable experience I am sure.
7. My e28 still has some value. If I wait until something major breaks, it will be a more difficult sale.
1. $40k+ to buy the e39.
2. Insurance bill will double.
3. I live in NYC and although I park off street in a gated lot, NYC is not very new car friendly.
4. I drive less than 10,000 miles per year.
5. The e39 is do for a redesign in two years - I could wait until then.
6. I love my e28.
I have become obsessed with this decision. My wife is no help as she does not care either way - "A new car would be nice, but I am happy with our current car."
Also, 2 cars is not an option as I have only one parking spot in the lot and a second is prohibited.
Therefore, I appeal to you BMW zealots for opinions.