The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums
Re: Awesome idea: illuminated door handles (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ 5-series (E28) Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by artie on February 02, 2001 at 12:52:32:

nice idea! i like it a lot...am def. gonna do it

I just read this post from the UUC Digest. If you're not on it, you might consider getting on it. They talk about non-BMW stuff a LOT, but there're little gems in there every-so-often.

This "gem" is from Alex Cagaan, so don't e-mail me about it. If you've got questions, I would assume that he's available for interrogation. :-)

Has anyone else tried this or something similar?

From: "Alex Cagann"
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 00:35:11 -0500

I had noticed that inside of my dad's 99 740i the door handles were illuminated (so are the outside). I thought it would be nice for the M5 to have the same. Went to radio shack, picked up four 12 volt orange LED's with built in flush casings. I have only done one door so far, but it
works absolutely great....plus, if you have the fragile leather door panels, it will save your door from your wife/girlfriend/whomevers fingernail slashing while trying to located the door handle. I have seen quite a few E28 M5's with rashed up leather around the door handles. For the back doors, use the window buttons for your 12V, the drivers door, you can use the power mirror switch, and the passenger door....haven't figured that one out yet...any
ideas? Just take apart the door panels, and unclip the small black housing the door handle is in. Drill the appropriate sized hole in the top of the housing, insert LED, wire it up....it is invisible, all you see is the
soft light illuminating the door handle area.

Alex
88///M5

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ 5-series (E28) Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk.
Roadfly.com Logo © 1997 - 2017 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.