Allow me to introduce myself... My name is Jack, and I live in Santa Clara, California... bout 40miles south of San Francisco.
Anyways.. I would like to share the story of my recent purchase of an e30 m3.
I have been reading this board for over two years now, hoping that one day I would be lucky enough to own one of these awesome cars.
I started looking seriously about 8months ago... so it's been a long time coming. I almost gave up, thinking that I would never find the car I wanted with the mileage I wanted, at the price I wanted... almost opted for a 3rd Generation RX-7 or a twin Turbo Supra! ...both great cars, but definitely not e30 M3's!!
I threw my email out to every internet car shopping site on the net... in hopes of getting notified when that truly rare example would show up. In the last eight months I saw about 7 cars... most of which were thoroughly trashed, or had mileage that was too high. Almost bought a red one about a month back... but it was shortly after NASDAQ took a dive, and my finances where shot... besides, I didn't want a red one.
I got bombarded with M3's adds from all over the country... but I this point I did not have the means and finances to travel outa state just to look at a car.
My car of choice would be white w/black interior, and have less than 100K miles. And one day about 3 weeks ago... it showed up... 6 miles from my house... in Cupertino!
Went to see it... nice, clean, ran great, 72K miles, white, black interior... .WOW! Was this the one? Problem: Guy is asking $14K US Big Ones.... and not willing to even talk about the price. hmmm.... i guess I will have to come up with some creative way to finance it. Lets see.... cash advance on the credit card... balance transfer... 1.9% interest for 9 months... hmmm could be done!
So... the seller is moving outa state... selling his Harley... selling his house... and a bunch of furniture. Tells me that he will be going outa town for a week and if i'm still interested when he returns, we'll talk.
So he returns... I tell him that I've set up a technical inspection over at Dinan... he agrees... by the time we finish the inspection.. he only has 3 days left in the state... so he tells me that I have to decide that afternoon! Otherwise, he claims that he will ship it with him!
I get five pages worth of stuff that needs to be repaired/replaced. Very quickly after that I call the seller and tell him that with the amount of work this car needs... i can't give him a reasonable offer. He says, "Try me" I tell him to make the first move. He says 12K... I say No... too high... he says ...ok, 10k... i say too high! (Geez!! I'm thinking, this guy is reeeally pressed to sell!!)... We go back and forth... and agree on 7500!! Can you believe this???! Almost half the asking price.
Well you know what they say... if it's too good to be true... it prolly is.... Seller calls me back 2hrs later... says, he reconsidered and he will be shipping the car... i say ok... so what will it take?? he jumps back up to 10k... i say too high... end conversation.
3 hours calls me back 10 times to bargain... I'm holding firm on 7500… again we agree on this price! I'm stoked!! .... end of the day... he reconsiders again! He is shipping it for sure now... truck is coming tomorrow... or so he says...
Next morning: Calls me and says, "Look, I NEED to get rid of this car! Give me 8K and we'll do the deal..." I say... "7.5k" he says... ok, lets meet in the middle... 7750. "OK" both agreed...
I cut the check... went to his house.. we made the trade.. i drove it home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Needless to say I'm a happy camper!!!
Now I just need to come up with some dough to do Inspection II....
I will post pictures and more details in the near future!
A sincere thanks goes out to all the people on this board... for providing me with knowledge and for keeping my enthusiasm alive when I thought I would never find this car.
I will stop now.. i've rambled enough! :)