The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums
Re: Tie Rod replacement, what is involved?? (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ E30 M3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by troy on March 05, 2001 at 12:37:13:

In Reply to: Tie Rod replacement, what is involved?? posted by Mark M on March 05, 2001 at 12:06:03:

Just remove the straps around the rubber boots on the steering rack. then pull the boot back until the ball joint is visable. then use a very large pair of chanel locks to loosen the ball joint from the rack. Then loosen the nuts that hold the tie rod end to the steering knuckle
. If you have a air hammer with a flat head bit , you can just push the the tie rod out of the steering knuckle. make sure you leave the nut on the head of the bolt if you use the air hammer. If you do not have a air hammer you can use a bal joint removal tool ( it looks like a pickle fork)
and place it between the tie rod end and the bottom of the steering knuckle and beat it with a hammer until it pops out. use penetrating oil on the tie rod end(the shaft that goes through the steering knuckle)and let it soak for awhile before attempting to remove it. Make sure you take your car in for a alignment when your done. You will need new locking plates (the washer between the ball joint and steering rack, you will see them, when removing the tie rods) and 4 new metal clamps or you can use wire tie's for resecureing the rubber boots. Good luck. I hope you can make sense of what I wrote.

My car did not pass PA state inspection on Sat, shop wants to see new tie rod ends on it.

What is involved in doing this job? I am a fairly competent hack mechanic but just curious as to where and how to undue the inner parts of the tie rods. The obvious part is the ball joint on the end, but where and how does it separate from the rack? What parts will I need besides the new tie rods? Rubber boots and clamps for the rack? What else? Thanks for your assistance.

Mark M

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ E30 M3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk. Logo © 1997 - 2018 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.