In Reply to: M3 purchase all set; couple of questions posted by Goldie on August 14, 2001 at 15:51:33:
Hi -- I'm about to purchase a zinoberrot '88 M3 with 91k. Nice, well sorted car. However, the chain tensioner has never been replaced, and well, sorry to bore the forum w/ questions that may have been asked already but:
1) is it true that an E36 M3 tensioner is preferable to the E30?
2) A 32mm deepwell socket is needed, correct?
3) I like to perform all of my own repairs. Where can I purchase a manual (shop/Bentley/Haynes) to help me along?
4) There's a whole lot of debate about whether or not to replace the chain as well. What's the verdict?
5) Where can I purchase a spark plug removal tool for this car?!
5) I live in Crystal City, VA. Any DC area residents out there kind enough to show a newbie around his car?
My goal is not to put the car on a track, but rather, to see how long I can make it last (I take public transportation to work, so I won't be racking up the milage too much). In my mind this means R&R before things start to go wrong, and keeping the car as close to stock as possible. Any advice along these lines is welcome.
'76 BMW 2002
'65 Chevrolet Corvair