In Reply to: Herr Wheaton! This is the way they are in Germany. posted by Mike on January 09, 2002 at 13:20:54:
About the side-markers, we were just saying that Brandon should wire his city lights with the side markers so they don't blink as they would if he wired them with the front parking lights.
I was saying that I have H4s and H1s in my regular Hella housings. If the ellipsoids only take H1s, I'd say go with 100W H1s in all 4. I'd assume the 5 3/4" Hella H1 housings that I have and the Hella ellipsoid H1 inner housings are nearly identical. If so, I can say that clear 100W bulbs provide a lot of light in there.
You didn't mention whether the ellipsoids go off when you turn on the brights. That's how it works on the US ellipsoids. Many people would like the outer lights to stay on with the inner ones which requires the relay modifications that Mike mentioned.
Judging from the responses, there seems to be a lot of confusion about these lights.
- German spec cars do not have side marker lights.
- The parking lamps (city lamps ??) are always on when the lights are on (position 1 and 2)
- The fog lamps come on only in position 1 or 2
- sure you can run with parking lamps and fog light on - but why would you ??
- Both headlamps (high & low) have 55W H1 bulbs.
- light output is petty decent on low beams and very good on high beams, even at our higher speeds.
- quality of the bulbs is more important than rated wattage. Stay away from those toro cheapo HID, Xenon scheißendreck ..
- to get the ultimate light get E39 light bulbs (an easy install in the headlight) and the corresponding black boxes.
Hope that helps
95 525 TDS
I just got my euro ellips from Bekker's... sweeet. I have always wondered what that cutout underneath the inner lens is for - any ideas? Also, is the city light (above the inner lens) supposed to come on with the running lights, turn off with the low beams and blink corresponding to the L&R turn signals?
I want to go as bright as possible with conventional bulbs (none of that "superwhite" crap). Are there any things to consider regarding the higher current draw with respect to wiring upgrades, relay installation or beefier fuse installation?