In Reply to: Ich bin ein Hamburger! posted by B. Wheaton on January 09, 2002 at 17:15:46:
Yes, there is an extra switch for the fog lights and it only works with the light switch in pos 1 or 2.
There is also an indicator light for them in the instrument cluster (green)
There is also another switch right beside it for the rear fog light with a amber indicator light in the cluster
Responding to the other questions:
-The low beams stay on when you turn on the brights
- Yes, I agree the low beams could take some extra wattage, but careful, I damaged a low beam with 100W bulbs on my E34 (plastic melted..)
- the high beams are excelent with 55W no need for more
Parking lights: Seldomly used , but on most cars (exc BMW) if you switch on your turning signals with the engine off it will light the corresponding side parking lights. Ie the small bulb in the low beam and the corresponding taillight. Battery drain is minimal 5w rear plus 2 w front.
Thanks Mike. I was thinking about getting the Phillips HID kit but I'll hold on to my Benjamins for now. 80/100W H1s ought to be plenty bright!
What's this about the fog light? Do you mean there is a separate switch for that light or does it come on with the low-beams?
What is a "parking light" anyway? You don't park and leave them on, do you ? :^)
Judging from the responses, there seems to be a lot of confusion about these lights.
- German spec cars do not have side marker lights.
- The parking lamps (city lamps ??) are always on when the lights are on (position 1 and 2)
- The fog lamps come on only in position 1 or 2
- sure you can run with parking lamps and fog light on - but why would you ??
- Both headlamps (high & low) have 55W H1 bulbs.
- light output is petty decent on low beams and very good on high beams, even at our higher speeds.
- quality of the bulbs is more important than rated wattage. Stay away from those toro cheapo HID, Xenon scheißendreck ..
- to get the ultimate light get E39 light bulbs (an easy install in the headlight) and the corresponding black boxes.
Hope that helps
95 525 TDS