The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums
Re: Name these engine parts (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ E30 M3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Robinson on June 24, 2002 at 15:29:55:

In Reply to: Name these engine parts posted by Darren M on June 24, 2002 at 10:46:24:

What are the three layers of the engine?
So the cam cover is bolted down to the ****** Then this part is bolted down to another part called the ******? THen finally there is the block right?

Sorry for my dumbness :). But I am trying to locate an oil leak and visually by looking from above I think there are two leaks from the front of the engine. One looks like it is coming from just below where the distrubutor is (where the first engine layer joins the 2nd part - looks like its coming from around the bolt next to the distrubutor), but I`m not 100% sure because the trail of oil actually goes above the bolt but this could be engine movement - I dont think it`s coming from the cam cover.
The second one is coming from just above where the oil pump is (I think it`s the oil pump) which I assume is the head gasket area -where the 2nd engine layer joins the block.

Hopefully my descriptions aren`t too bad 8-). If I find an pic I`ll post it and highlight the areas.

Is this likely to be a head problem :(

Cam Box, valve box(?) and block

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ E30 M3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk. Logo © 1997 - 2018 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.