In Reply to: need Help please posted by Rich on December 28, 2000 at 18:31:00:
1) When you say the car "jerk back and forth", do you mean the steering wheel would behave like it is trying to break away from your grip? Or do you actually mean that the car's body is doing the jerking?
2) Does the car exhibit this behaviour over smooth pavement? Or doe it happen only on rough pavement?
3) Does the car feel right when driving straight...since you mentioned that it happens when the steering is at a 20+ degree angle? Or does it jerk nervously up and down when it hits a bump?
4) Do you feel that the car's suspension is doing its job well? Is the car filtering out the roads bumps reasonably well?
5) Are the shock absorbers in good shape? Try by pushing down at the four corners (respectively of course!) of the car when you are parked at a flat, horizontal surface. "Rock" the car by pushing down at the corners of the car and if the car does not immediately come to rest after releasing, your shocks are gone.
I have a 1988 750iL
May car was having diffculties in the steering. When driving on the freeway, the car likes to jerk back and forth (in the direction on the turn)when I curve the steering. This is scary to me. It's been a pain and a fear when driving it on the freeway.
My mechanic said that maybe I a frontal wheel aligment? I this true? Is it something else? Will repairs drive me to the poor house? Please Help...
How much should I expect to pay (CA) for a wheel alignment on one of these powerful complicated machines? What can I do so that I don't get ripped off by a mechanic when doing this repair? Please Help Thanks in advance....Rich
**The jerking is coming from the front** I happens when I turn the steering wheel at a 20+ degree angle. What can I do?? :(