The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums
OBC backlight bulb replacement (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ 7-series (E32) Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by gale on August 06, 2001 at 19:39:34:

Congrat's on the "new" e32 & welcome to the board. The info for replacing the bulbs on the OBC is scattered all over the place, here's what I was able to put together:

I'm thinking I saved this removal jpeg from Rainman" or "Bill R.", I forget which (maybe they're actually the same person, like Clark Kent & Superman?)

None of the links say anything about disconnecting the battery, but I would do so just in case (it's under the rear seat), have your 5-digit radio code handy.

This discusses removal & backlights:

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/E32.E34.backlight.html

This gives BMW part numbers for dealer bulbs:

http://forums.roadfly.com/e34/messages/archive/msgsy2000w36/41701.html

This describes how to replace the bulbs:

http://www.bmwseven.com/Digests/17/17.62.3.html

> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 09:49:35 -0500
> From: David Joy
> Subject: OBC light replacement
>
> Rodney:
>
> Go to Radio Shack and buy some "flea" lamps rated at 12 volts, with leads.
> Although these "flea" lamps are smaller than the OEM lamps, they worked
> fine for me. Take out your OBC by pulling the radio out, then pulling on
> the white plastic lever which is located on the left side of the OBC. This
> is the "eject" lever for the OBC and works very nicely.
>
> Once you have the OBC out, you will see how to twist the lamp (holder) so
> that it comes out of the OBC. There are three lamps, one on each side and
> one on the back. (I'm going on memory so forgive me if I'm not exact).
> Once you have a lamp out, disassemble it from the holder by using
> needle-nosed pliers to pull out the copper contacts on each side. The lamp
> light itself is soldered on to the copper contacts and bent into proper
> position. Cut off the old lamp and solder the new lamp in. Push the two
> contacts, with the light, back into the lamp holder. Re-insert into the
> OBC and snap the OBC back into the dash. Re-insert radio, tighten the
> screws on each side and you're done.
>
> Real easy to do if you know how to solder.

If you need to send it in for further repair, Programa does these:

http://www.programainc.com

good luck & hope you get it fixed.

gale
92 735i
148k

p.s. visit my repair site for other repairs:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ 7-series (E32) Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk.
Roadfly.com Logo © 1997 - 2017 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.