Hi hopefully someone here can help me out.
My 92 535i 5spd has approx 140,000 miles. It has been exhibiting the following symptoms, all of which I believe may be related:
1. Rough idle, not surging but simply rough...like a car with bad or wet spark plug wires.
2. Intermittent stumbling under moderate acceleration.
3. Immediately after hitting a moderate bump (ouch) the engine "hiccups" or "bucks" for a split second and then resumes as normal.
4. Near the end of a recent 4 hour drive on cruise at about 75mph, the engine began to stumble and the cruise shut itself off.
5. Immediately following this, the check engine light came on briefly for about 30 seconds twice. Then stayed off for the next hour.
6. The following morning the car started, but was idling wildly erratically, despite attempting to keep the car at about 2000 rpm. The check engine light came on.
7. After about 2-3 minutes of this, the engine seemed to operate normally.
8. On the return trip, the engine performed fairly well with a little stumbling under acceleration as evidenced earlier. The check engine light did not come on again.
Rod in Toronto