Few quick questions: (This is all on a 90 535i w/ 135K miles. Car was in CA till 1997, now in IL. Asking price $8500) Sorry this is so long, but I really appreciate any help I can get making this decision...
1. The current owner (and third in the life of the car) has the service booklet which has been stamped every ~5K miles for oil, inspection I, inspection II. No paper records besides this, however... Would this be enough to satisfy you (as a potential buyer) that the car has been well maintained? I can't find anything wrong with the car in driving/looking at it.
2. Around 60K miles, above the dealer stamp in the service booklet, is written "Trans Service" and initialed. What exactly is this, and could it represent a problem?
3. Owner thinks clutch was replaced around 100K miles, owner doesn't know about anything else being replaced. All power accessories work. Driving on the highway, the car wasn't overheating so I assume the radiator isn't a problem. Suspension is still tight. Are there many big ticket items I could be getting myself into?
4. In third gear, there is sometimes a slight buzzing noise from the shifter.. Worn busing? Anything worse? Shifts smooth into all gears, no other strange noises or behavior..
5. Clutch is much lighter than on my 87 325is. Is this normal for the 5er?
6. When the blower is on position 4, its fairly loud, and dash seems to vibrate. Not noticible on pos. 1->3Anything significant?
7. Power steering hose seems to be leaking.. Big deal or no?
Thanks again for any helpful advice...