The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums
Do you mean like this? (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ 5-series (E34) Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by Sean H on December 15, 2000 at 16:46:01:

In Reply to: Splayed rear wheels on 535 posted by splayed_wheels on December 15, 2000 at 16:18:37:

Did the rear wheels look like this (you kind of have to use your imagination): /----\
That's just the way the rear wheels are on a BMW. During sharp cornering it allows more of the tire tread to come in contact with the pavement, as opposed to the tire rolling up on it's sidewall. On the new M5's this "splaying" or camber is very extreme. It's just part of the sporting nature of the cars.
As an aside, I've seen some FWD cars and econoboxes with rear wheels like this: \----/ (not that extreme, of course). Does anyone have an idea as to why? I really don't see this as a way to prolong tire life, but I may be wrong.
Sean H
'92 535i

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ 5-series (E34) Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk. Logo © 1997 - 2018 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.