In Reply to: Overheating, Help!!!! posted by Kiet on July 31, 2001 at 07:44:03:
1) Drained all coolant from radiator and engine block.
2) Flushed system with garden hose in radiator and in reservoir tank.....I tried to clear out as much of the deposits as possible.
3) Pulled radiator out and found the fins to be extremely clogged with dirt, sand, hair, leaves, etc. I could barely see any light through it. I flushed this out thoroughly with a garden hose....be careful not to use so much pressure as to bend the fins.
4) Replaced thermostat (I suspected it to be slow working in the first place)
5) Put car back together and now I am at 1/2 way....
'89 535i 5-spd with a Low Oil Level message
P.S. My fan was moving volumes of air, so I assumed the fan clutch was okay....I took the cheapest route first and that was the ticket....