She's sexy, smart, complicated... with a mild but unpredictable temperament, expensive tastes, and a penchant for living in the fast lane...
The day has finally come... I've found a beaut '93 535i, 130k miles, 5spd, alpine white, and I think I'm in love.
It's at Dinan in Mountain View right now, having its pre-purchase inspection done... if all goes well, then tonight the deal will be closed.
I just gave the service manager at Dinan a list of things to check out... fingers crossed they're all small and easy to fix, or in my imagination!
* detectable clicking/rattling noise with hood open, possibly valves ticking
* slight low-tone noise from engine/exhaust
* very slight "shudder" in power when winding out the gears, possibly clutch or engine related
* brief belt squeak when revving engine to redline in neutral, belt(s) possibly worn or out of adjustment
* estimate condition of clutch (original w/130k miles, may need replacing soon)
* clean coating (residue) off valve covers on engine
* check condition of starter motor (slight clunk on ignition, possibly starter disengaging)
* Left AC switch controls all vents; right AC switch apparently does nothing - check electrical state of AC
* Slight hiss coming from stereo when on CD mode, independent of volume - could be problem with power amp (not a biggie since I'm replacing sound sys anyway... unless it's a prob with the headunit...expensive!)
* check battery condition
* check radiator condition
* check condition of all fluids
* check for oil leaks
* check suspension condition
* estimate brake & tread life
How's next week for dinner, Larry?
- waiting, with baited breath, for the call from Dinan