In Reply to: Let the Flames Roll... But why do some BMW owners posted by Kenny on October 15, 2001 at 08:52:57:
1. The e34 trim and interior is quite durable. With a little care even the 10 year old high milage cars still look good. Makes them canidates for engine / transmision replacement.
2. Something about owning an e34 for any length of time results in irrational attachment by the owner.
3. Parts from the high performance versions are available.
4. Generally the high performance parts bolt onto the lower performance cars. Even when they don't it isn't that hard to make them fit...
5. M5's are expensive to own (18K) Why not buy a 525i for less then half and dream about making it an M5 some day.
6. 535iMs and 540 six speeds are rare.
7. In part to be a teen-age thing. Get the car cheap, then make it go faster...
When the Auto tranny in my 535iA goes out, I'm planning to replace it with a manual. A shop here will do the swap for about $1600... Am I nuts too???
I know given the recent terrorist incidents and the lagging economy there are certainly more serious issues than what I'm bringing up,,, but I can't help but wonder, Why do some BMW owners particularly E34 owners (I rarely surf other boards) have this non economically feasible urge to do silly things like aspire to buy for example a $6000 1989 525i M20, and wonder what it'll cost to install and bolt on an M50 engine, or buy an M50 525i and wonder what it will cost to install an M30 engine, or something even more laughable I heard recently, take an automatic 535i and install an M5 motor in it..??? I mean it's far cheaper and fewer headaches involved just buying a genuine M5 out there, or the clean 535i like a rare 1993 model I saw for sale below in a previous post..
I go on other car boards pretty frequently (especially Audi) and never hear of Audi owners trying to take their A6 non turbo and think of installing the twin turbo motor from the 2.7T, or a Ferrari 308 owner wondering if the 328 motor will fit... I can at least buy Drew's argument of one day installing a 6-speed in his 530i touring when his current transmission blows, at least his car will be a one of a kind since what he'd be doing is far cheaper than importing an M5 touring from europe... But the other's??? you gotta start wondering if these people have their heads screwed on right..