+ Marketplace Forums
Check this mail on the U.U.C. digest... (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ 5-series (E34) Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by Bill R. on October 17, 2001 at 09:49:55:

Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 22:34:35 -0800
From: Larry Franks
Subject: [uuc] E34 HID Conversion Follow-Up

Digesters:

I have been living with (and loving!) the HID's I put into my
'95 540i/6, per my previous posting, and have a couple of
things to add.

First, the results were worth it. I could use still *more*
light (dang those aging retinas!), but do not want to be more
obnoxious to other drivers than I already am. Also, a slight
correction: when I was fashioning plugs from my left-over
halogens to keep the E34 wiring pristine, I used the 9006's,
not the 9005's I accidentally quoted. Non-interchangeable
plugs for high beam and low beam are a *good* thing.

I also solved the problem of the on-board computer puking
on the 35w actually drawn, as opposed to the 51w it expects,
which caused it to display an annoying "Low Beam" message.
Per the private proddings of 1st, I dug back into the ETM to
determine how the on-board computer sampled the low beam
current and decided whether it was a problem or not.

It turns out that the full current supporting the low beams
traverses the Lamp Control Module, which then takes a
sample from a short section of a fat circuit board trace,
basically measuring the voltage drop across this link. I
just cut the sampling trace, and moved the sample point
to add about 50% to the length of the link with a tiny hank
of 42# wire. Works great! This is *not* a mod for the faint
of heart, but if you want to go this route, drop me a note
and I'll send you a passel of pics of the process.

Have fun, Larry F.

The Pearson-Franks Family
Issaquah, Washington

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ 5-series (E34) Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk.
Roadfly.com Logo © 1997 - 2016 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.