The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums
Re: engine talk (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ E46 M3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by m3mike on November 13, 2000 at 14:57:48:

In Reply to: engine talk posted by joe on November 13, 2000 at 14:38:09:

pushrods are used in engines which have the cam shaft situated above the crankshaft. one end of the pushrod rides (not directly) on the cam and the other end pushes a rocker which in turn pushes on the valve, thus opening and closing it. newer engines (with the exception of many american cars) use overhead cams which are driven by a timing belt or chain. since the cam is located "overhead", it can push on the rockers/valves directly.

what does "pushrod" refer to? what do engines that do not use this use instead?


Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ E46 M3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk. Logo © 1997 - 2018 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.