In Reply to: AA Chip Installation Questions... posted by John on October 06, 1999 at 17:17:20:
If your production date is past 1/95 or later,
did you tell Active? because your model has the
EWS feature (anytime now Bruce...). when you make
a computer software change or upgrade, it needs
to aligned by a BMW computer or a hand held
don't even bother to think of buying one, you'll
easily need 8,000 to 12,000 depending on the model
and it's only certafied to a BOSCH approved car
repair shop (like AA...)
HOWEVER, if you have a 10/94 to 12/94. here's a
1) Open the hood
2) Facing forward against the car, upper left hand
(passanger side) you shouls see a grayish soft
foam cover, remove the (3) buttons that hold is up
3) Now you should see a hard platic cocer, rectangle. remove the three top screws. like the
pic you see here:
4) Now slide out the silver box, aka DME Box
5) On the top side, you should read out two
stickers and 6 little bolts. Remove em.
6) Once the bolts are removed, flip it around. Now
you should see 6 tabs bending the cover staying
put. CAREFULLY.. rebend the tabs so you can slide
the cover up from it's original place.
7) Now you should see the inside of the computer
box. look upper right, there's a white cover on
top of a chip, thats' the bad boy you want to
remove. take it off... (sounds familiar...) *grin*
8) CAREFULLY take off the chip, use a flat head
screw driver (thin as possible) and SLIDE it
CAREFULLY under the chip. slowly, ever so care
fully push the chip from its orifinal place from
the bottom. CAREFULLY! can't emphasize that..
9) Now, with the aa chip, on the short side of the
chip, there's a little half circle on the side.
where you are about to install the chip, align it
on the side with the chip. you do not need to
remove the battery cable, etc.. just plug out and
in with the new chip.
IF you don't do #8 carefully, the car WILL NOT
start, aside that your isn't a EWS model of course
Hope this helps. happy hunting with the new mods
and becareful, we don't want to see you on FOX's
Scariest chases running 150+mph from the police!
chinesebmw (Tong KaChun)