The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums
Re: Anyone in North Carolina to answer my question (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ E36 M3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by Bob ///M3 on June 16, 2000 at 11:38:08:

In Reply to: Anyone in North Carolina to answer my questions?? posted by VJ on June 16, 2000 at 11:04:17:

You will have to have the owner (your dad) sell or give the vehicle to your uncle (permanent North Carolina resident) and of course transfer its ownership by transfering the title.
The sell will require that your uncle pay NC sales tax on the current value of the vehicle. This value is the current value of the vehicle as set by the NC DOT. It makes no difference how much the vehicle is sold for or if it was even given away. This value is available at each DOT's office. You must pay the sales tax as well as for the title transfer and the NC license plate at one time for the transaction to be processed.

The NC sales tax is 3% of the vehicle's value as set by the NC DOT with a $1,500 maximum limit.

NC county as well as city (if applicable) property tax will have to be paid yearly by the owner of the vehicle as well and is billed seperately by the municipal goverment of that county which the owner resides.

I hope this is helpful.

You may want to really think about this before doing it! Just one situation that requires the insurance company or their independent agent to investigate why the vehicle was being used in another state could cause you a lot of headaches!

Bob ///M3 (Winston-Salem, NC)

: I live in NY and want to register my car in NC. the car is registered to my dad and the title is in his name.

: The goal of all tih sis to excape NY's high insurance premiums. i have an uncle living in NC to use as resident, but what else would i have to do?? do i have to transfer teh title to myself? does this involve paying sales tax on teh car? or can i transfer it to my uncle and designate myself as primary driver on the car? can someone please help me? thanks

: VJ
: [email protected]

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ E36 M3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk. Logo © 1997 - 2018 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.