I am doing some PM for my brother on his new (to him) '91 M5 this week. I am going to change the oil. Car had Mobile 1 in it from day one untill 6000 miles ago or so, when the owner tried BMW Synthetic. I live in Atlanta, can anybody offer advice on what weight to use?? I am pretty sure that I will put Mobile 1 in for him unless somebody can give reason otherwise. Also, any advice on doing the oil change. I always do the job on my '90 525i, but still would appreciate any pointers and help.
1. Will I need put it up on jack stands since it is so low to the ground??
2. A list of tools that I will need (guess probably a 19mm socket or wrench for the oil sump?? What size for the oil cartridge?? Never changed one before, is there anything special to look out for??)
3. Oil capacity?? Will double check with the manual, but need an idea of how much oil to buy.
4. Any extra parts that I will need?? (Crush washer for the drain plug, I think all oil filter seals and washers are included w/ the filter??
5. Torque specs for the oil sump and for the cartridge??
6. Is there a good repair manual for this car?? My Bentley's does not cover the M5.
Thanks to all for any advice.