|Radio Shack FRS radios (archive)|
Posted by Tom M. on September 29, 1998 at 19:33:50:
Radio Shack has a new FRS radio, just released. It was on sale for $80 for the full featured unit so I picked one up to work with my Mot Talkabout+. Here's my experience:
1. The RS mode's bod is usefully smaller than the Mot, although from the bottom of the unit to the top of the antenna is about the same.
2. The RS unit uses 2 AA batteries, I would expect shorter life than the Mot. (I didn't measure it.)
3. The RS unit has a TRUE mechanical power switch integrated into the volume control. Very simple, and when the unit is off it's OFF. No more taking your batteries out or finding them drained a few weeks later.
4. The RS unit has an annoying burst of noise when the mike button is released. The Mot does also, but way less.
5. Audio qualtiy on the RS seemed fine, maybe a little less output. It might have a little more trouble cutting through roadster noise.
6. Here's what swung it for me: when using a quiet code, you could still hear adjacent quiet codes SLIGHTLY on the RS unit. None at all on the Mot.
I returned the RS unit, I'll get another Mot.
Conclusion: The RS is $80, the Mot is $105. It's $25 well spent.