In Reply to: hardtop on the way ,ARE THEY NICE posted by captain kirk on March 30, 1999 at 00:04:13:
Have a atlanta blue hard top 6 mths after I brought the car 2 years ago.
(1) looks good and very eye catching
(2) better sound proof and the heater is more efficient in the winter.
(2) have rear window defroster, good for both winter and summer
(3) feels more soild when the top is on. (actually it feels like a coupe)
(1) the color of the top and the body will not exactly match, coz the top is probably newly painted.(mine is very obvious)
(2) need 2 people to put it on
(3) the window must be adjusted by BMW people or else it leaks. In fact I go back to BMW every time I put it back on.
(4) Top is painted in thin coating, you will easily get a "chip off" near the edges. (I damaged mine by the storage bag's zinpper)
(5) in bumpy roads, you will hear "rocking" sound from the seals where it touchs the body of the car but it not major.
(6) I recommed to buy the BMW storage cart ($300 up), the top is very fragile.
(7) soft-top down after 14 mths, I need a new plastic rear window.
Don't worry about the cons, you will appreciate it once it is installed. It's worth the big bucks.