In Reply to: What is GAL..... posted by Jason on March 30, 1999 at 23:44:34:
From the FAQ:
...it turns out that BMW used the wrong wiring harness in most (all?) HK stereos built prior to 3/98. The fix is free under warranty.
- Speed sensitive volume control works on non-HK cars
- On HK cars, a wire was left out of the wiring harness which feeds the head-unit.
BMW Service Bulletin # 65 07 98 gives instructions for fixing the problem. It states the it will be done on a customer complaint basis only....
Click on the pages to expand:
page 3 has a procedure which allows you to test the function:
1. Turn your ignition to the accessory position
Turn your radio on (push the volume knob)
Turn your radio off
Turn your radio on
2. Press and hold the "m" button (right hand side of the radio)
3. After a few seconds it should display a serial number
4. Press the > key (beside the "m" key) a few times until it says "GAL" followed by a number
5. Press one of the station keys (1-5) to change to a new GAL setting. It should display the new setting.
6. Turn the radio off and the new setting will be saved.
With the UK sets you need to press the TP button instead to go into service mode. Also, the Radio cassette player goes up to GAL 6 but unfortunately CD player only goes to GAL 4 (which is useless)