In Reply to: Just took delivery of 2.8. Many Questions/comments posted by Mike on April 04, 1999 at 20:13:26:
: On Saturday, we picked up our 1999 2.8 triple black, auto
: trans (wife's requirement), 17 inch wheels, premium package, chrome, cd. We got a great lease deal on the car
: as it seems the dealers really want to move out the 1999s.
: Anyway, we love the car, but have the following questions.
: 1. On the way home, I noticed the car does not have a
: center armrest. In the BMW brochure, it clearly shows one.
: Is this an option that I forgot, or did the dealer forget to install it? Surprisingly, the car did come with floormats.
I think this is an option you can pickup at the dealer.
2. We need a windscreen. I know there are several to choose from, but which is best? Is there a part #? How much? Best place to purchase it?
Got mine from BMW. I have the roll bars so the screen they offer just slips over the roll bar and easily un-zips for better visability when the top is up. It was about $140 with the BMWCCA discount. I'm sure if you look around you can get a better price on it.
3. The driver side lever for the convertible top takes a lot of effort to open and close, in fact my wife can not do it. Is there an adjustment?
I found that it gets easier with use.
4. The BMW "business cd radio" is poor. Any reasonably priced improvements, not looking for a concert hall, just decent sound.
I haven't addressed this one yet on my M roadster but from reading here many people have made upgrades by replacing the OEM amp or speakers. There is information on www.mz3.net about this upgrade. Also look at http://www.adst.com/z3/ for information.
5. In the 100 miles I put on the car, there is a lot of brake dust on the wheels, any products to deal with this?.
I noticed the same thing on mine. This is a common problem with all BMW's I have owned but I think in this case it is also because of the "stuff" the dealer used to clean the wheels. It seems to attract the brake dust. I just wipe it with a soft paper towel.
6. the seat belt really is really tight on the shoulder, is this normal. Sorry for all of the questions, we really like the car. Our last sports car before this was
: a 1982 corvette. What a difference. Thanks
I didn't notice the problem with the seat belt. I'm not very tall (5'9"ish) so I don't know if that makes the difference.
850 miles on my //M roadster. =)