I'm not sure if anyone has received the new clear windscreen (version 5.0), but it seems to have addressed the vacuum problem.
The package came as quickly and well packaged as others have reported, and the windscreen was very easy to install.
Immediately after installing it, I had to run it through its paces. Finding the nearest back road (not that far), I quickly brought the car up to 100mph.
The plexiglas screen moved a little in the middle…but actually far less than I had expected. The degree to which it cut the wind was definitely noticeable over that of the BMW windscreen. There is certainly still wind blowing through my hair…but not as much as with the BMW rollhoop windscreen.
I may try to find some wire channel or similar groove type setup to attach to the top of the speaker enclosure and under the windscreen to see if I can further minimize the flexing…but it isn't a project I feel any dire need to do.
The one problem I have had is with the new straps. I understand they have been redesigned from the older model. The attaching straps that came with this version are a nylon strap with hoop and hook patches attached to the ends. When I installed the straps, they didn't seem to match up well in that the hook patch didn't line up over the hoop patch. Only half the patches were actually in contact with each other. This seems enough to hold it.
After I returned from my first run, I stopped by the abode to pick up a couple items on the way out from a longer run. When I returned to the car, I noticed something amiss with the straps. The hook and hoop patches are apparently glued on,,,and only around the edges. With only moderately warm temperatures today in Sandy Eggo, the patches were starting to separate from the nylon strap. I decided I would stop by the local Home Depot to see if I could find some glue to reaffix the patches, but Hone Depot was closed for Easter (a good Catholic company I guess). A trip across the street to Kmart proved fruitful however. There I found a Velcro product called Get-A-Grip. It is basically a double-sided Velcro - with the hoop on one side and the hook on the other.
The package contains a single ¾ inch strip 9 ft long. After cutting strips approximately the same length as the original strips, and two per attaching point to make up for the reduced width, I found I was about 1 ft short. This meant the one of the attaching points only had one strap. I will return to Home Depot tomorrow to see if I can find a wider version of this product or at least pick up another pack to make the last strap.
I'm not sure what the long term wear will be on the straps as far as them stretching. They do seem to hold better than the nylon straps as the entire strip is stuck together. I also noticed that the nylon strap was leaving an indentation on the roolhoop padding which I expect the Velcro strap to eliminate as I placed the soft cloth part of the strap against the roolhoop.
All in all, the basic idea and construction of the windscreen itself works very good and does provide an improvement over the BMW windscreen. It looks as if the attaching straps need to be brought back to the drawing board however.
4/'98 2.8l Drk Grn/Beige/Black - 17" - sport bun warmers - Wood steering wheel, brake handle and trim - Dinan chip, strut brace, and free-flow cold air intake snorkle thingy, Borla custom cat back exhaust and Intercooler tips - yada, yada, yada - and power top (real roadsters don't have no fuggin' power top)