For you guys and gals who might be interested in the v1sor, could you answer some of these questions we have?
Please email your reply to [email protected] I don't want to soak up too much board bandwidth with this task.
1) I would want the Stealth V1sor for
A) To deter breaking/theft (1-10)
B) Radar detectors are illegal where I drive (1-10)
C) Aesthetic considerations (1-10)
2) We can cover the radar horns (the part currently covered in crimson plastic on your detector) in leather or the original plastic. Leather is more stealth looking but sacrifices some amount of range (10%?) Plastic keeps the range the same but is less steath looking.
A) Prefer stealth over 10% range (1-10)
B) Prefer range over stealth (1-10)
3) If the unit is more easily detectable by a radar detector detector….
A) How big a deal is this to you (1-10)
B) If the unit could be made undetectable but cost us $200 more to make and made the visor larger, would you pay for that feature? (Y/N/not sure)
4) We have three different ideas for the volume knob. Rate your preference
A) Volume knob sticks out of visor (as shown on prototype #1 on Z3 board) (1-10)
B) Volume is preset to full, knob just under the leather, you push the hidden knob it to select V1 features (1-10)
C) Exactly like option B but there is a tiny little hole in the visor where you can stick through a custom tool (provided) to change volume level. (1-10)
5) The Stealth V1sor is larger than the stock sun visor. But its covered in the same nice leather Jon uses for the armrests. Would you want your passenger side visor rebuilt to match…
A) Match the leather only, don’t have to rebuild it to match size. (1-10)
B) Rebuild passenger side visor to be an exact match, size, shape, and cover, as driver side. (1-10)
6) It’s not possible to incorporate the Laser detector into the visor without making it huge. We could make it huge or we could incorporate the laser into the passenger side visor. Option 2 here will add cost($100???)
A) Make it huge Give me my gal dang laser in the same visor! (1-10)
B) Incorporate the laser detector into the other visor worth cost. (1 –10)
C) Laser is a frill, by the time you detect its already too late, leave it out (1-10)
7) Price. Our first prototype took us about 60 man-hours to build. We figure if we get really good at this we can crank them out in about 6 hours apiece. One problem we have is that will all the rework of the detector (solder, desolder, dremmel, etc) we’re going to trash a fair number of detectors in the process. We then have to shell out to Valentine to buy new ones. Also, we have some equipment to (radar guns) we need to get our hands on. If we can get a minimum of 10 orders for visors we figure we could crank them out for $999 a piece. This assumes you give us your existing visor. It does include the cost of the detector. You can also send us your detector and subtract $399 from that. We don’t know how much a matching passenger visor would cost but my guess is somewhere in the neighborhood of $95.
So what do you think. You won’t be held to your answer here. Final prototype will be done in a week or so then you can check out close-up pics and get the results from our V1 and V1sor side by side tests.
A) Probably (would) (would not) be interested in a Stealth V1sor.
B) Probably (would) (would not) be interested in a matching passenger side visor
C) Probably (would) (would not) be interested in a laser equipped passenger side visor.
Sacrifice of the dome light will NOT be required. There will be a stealth on-off switch in the driver compartment somewhere.
Thanks a lot for your input. As soon as we get a good sample of feedback we’ll let the board know if we’re going to go ahead with production.
Ed and Jon