I had a chance last weekend to try my new Dunlop SP8000s at the 2-day autocross driving school in San Bernardino. The tires had less than 500 miles on them. Observations:
1. Before day 1, I inflated the tires to 35psi front/37 psi rear cold. I used the tiny rubber spikes on the sides of the tires to gauge whether the tires were rolling over too much. The rear tires seemed okay, but the front tires were rolling over.
2. Before day 2, I inflated the tires to 37 psi cold all around. The front tires were rolling over less, but a couple of more pounds may have helped.
3. The ABS kicked in much more often in the SP8000s than when I had Pilot HXs on the car.
4. The car seemed to understeer more than when it had the Pilots. Increasing the tire pressure on the front tires may help with this.
5. After the autoX, the car is still quieter and has a plusher ride than it had with the Pilots.
1997 Z3 2.8
Dunlop SP8000 225/50ZR16 x 4
Norm was also at the autocross with his Estoril Blue MZ3. Great color! There was also a Boston green M3 there shod with Pilot Sports. Fastest time that I noticed was in the 49s; the M3 was running in the 55/56 range while Norm and I were running in the 57/58 range.