The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums

[ Follow Ups ] [ Z3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by FWK-Z3 on January 17, 2000 at 21:42:22:

In Reply to: winter storage posted by ana O on January 16, 2000 at 08:09:08:

DO NOT use a battery charger or take the battery out!

A battery charger cannot detect when a battery is fully charged and will overcharge it if left on continuously. This will boil the electrolyte out of it (and one of the components made is hydrogen -- collected under a car cover, one spark could turn it into a spectacular but short term alternative heat source for your garage).

If you tak ethe battery out, you could destroy the battery backup for the service indicator. This is a board component and protects the service indicator system memory when the battery is disconnected for short intervals. If you leave the battery out fo ra long time, it will flatten the battery backup and you may have to replace the instrument cluster to get the service indicator to work properly again.

I would also but some plasti cwrap ocvver your exhaust opening and air intake. There has already been one posting about a muffler being used as a rodent condo and having performance suffer from one's free-flow being stuffed with dog food - try getting a warranty claim for that!

I do a more permanent storage which includes padded jackstands and greasing the brakes to prevent corrosion.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Z3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk. Logo © 1997 - 2018 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.