The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums
Re: Battery over heat (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Z3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by Tony S on October 28, 2000 at 19:22:47:

In Reply to: Battery over heat posted by The S on October 28, 2000 at 18:21:48:


Greeting,
The battery in my 2000 Z3/2.5 over heat. I notice that the positive terminal gets really hot. It almost melts the red plastic cover.
I recent installed a new cd player (Eclipse deck and changer). Even if the CD player was off, the battery's positive terminal gets really HOT.
Does anybody else experience this problem?

Is it the battery or the cable going to it. If it is the battery get it out of your car. It is most likely the cable is lose. Lose cable = high resistive connection=HEAT. No other device in a car will cause a battery cable to heat up with out blowing it's fuse. Except maybe a starter. If you have a voltmeter measure the voltage between the + and - terminals the measure the voltage between the - and the + cable. If it is lower than your first measurement it has to be a lose connection between them. If it is the same most likely the the connector on the cable is lose. WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES. Defective batteries can EXPLODE!

Tony S.



Follow Ups:



[ Follow Ups ] [ Z3 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk.
Roadfly.com Logo © 1997 - 2017 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.