In Reply to: Re: Battery over heat posted by Tony S on October 28, 2000 at 19:22:47:
The battery in my 2000 Z3/2.5 over heat. I notice that the positive terminal gets really hot. It almost melts the red plastic cover.
I recent installed a new cd player (Eclipse deck and changer). Even if the CD player was off, the battery's positive terminal gets really HOT.
Does anybody else experience this problem?
Is it the battery or the cable going to it. If it is the battery get it out of your car. It is most likely the cable is lose. Lose cable = high resistive connection=HEAT. No other device in a car will cause a battery cable to heat up with out blowing it's fuse. Except maybe a starter. If you have a voltmeter measure the voltage between the + and - terminals the measure the voltage between the - and the + cable. If it is lower than your first measurement it has to be a lose connection between them. If it is the same most likely the the connector on the cable is lose. WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES. Defective batteries can EXPLODE!
Tony is right be VERY CAREFUL. An exploding battery will ruin your day. Wear eye protection, real wrap around shop glasses not just your eyeglasses.
Do it the right way:
1. Shut the car off and allow everything to cool for an hour.
2. Take the negative terminal off FIRST. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.
3. Take the positive lead off. Clean everything with Scotchbrite or fine sandpaper.
4. Reconnect the positive terminal, then the negative.
Check it again, if the wires get hot again take it to a BMW mechanic, don't screw around with it.