In Reply to: Going in for service tommorrow...(m) posted by Scott on August 01, 2000 at 01:56:22:
First service results for 00 M Coupe, 5600 miles, age 11 months 1 week, two service lights remaining. Service done by MY BMW Seaside CA. yesterday
1. MY BMW serviced the car early to coincide with fixing sway bar prior to autoX today. No hassle! (3 autoXs at Marina,CA in 2 days)
2. Normal service completed including switching from dino to the new Castrol synthetic oil
3. Ordered new hatch button assembly to fix sticking button. According to previous posts this may or may not fix the problem. We'll see.
4. Intermittent fuel gauge: recoded instrument cluster as per bulletin as first stage attempt to fix. Bulletin says to replace gauge controller if this first line of attack doesn't work.
5. Popped sway bar: Fixed using soap as lubricant. Knew of WD40 fix, but said BMWNA advised against it since they are preparing a service bulletin to prevent the problem from happening and this may require removing the sway bar. Use of WD40 may complicate this procedure.
6. Faded exterior M logos. Reordered all exterior badges. Will install at no cost. No hassle.
7. Intermittent jerky feel to clutch release. The recoded the DME per service bulletin. Could not help with jerky driver.
8. No Chrome interior package installed by factory as standard equipment for M. Ordered chrome interior package parts and will install at no cost. No hassle.
9. Broken rear view mirror plastic harness cover damaged by removal for autoX. Replaced at no charge.
10. Installed new rear rim to replace damaged one at retail less 10%. + $30 labor.
11. Ordered M fog light kit for BMW installation. Retail cost less 10% plus labor TBD.
12. Bought 4 qts oil at $3.60/qt less 10%
Although I have to return again to complete the service when the various parts on order are received and even though 2 of the fixes may require further work, I felt I was given first class treatment by everyone associated with MY BMW. Thanks Victor (service rep) and thanks MY BMW.....
Taking my '99 M-Coupe in for service tommorrow at Peter Pan BMW. Fingers are crossed that they treat it right and fix what needs fixing. I have having the following done:
* Install the volt-meter that was missing from the center console.
* Fix rear window washer (they BETTER fix this one!).
* Upgrade engine computer firmware if possible.
* Fix slight steering shimmy between 50-80mph. Most likely alignment (extra wear on outside edge of right front tire).
* Test heated door locks.
Car has about 6300 miles on it, so Inspection 1 is still a little ways off. Apparently you only get a loaner car from Peter Pan if your car is in for Inspection 1 or 2. They are providing me with a shuttle service to and from my work however (5 mins away).
If I find out anything interesting after I pick up my car, I'll definately post.