In Reply to: Re: Am I the first to do a rear susp. install hims posted by Julian Chang on March 08, 2001 at 14:50:48:
1. remove both halves of trunk bottom
2. remove subwoofer/amp covers
3. remove plastic corner covers on trunk floor
4. remove corner end caps that trunk cover hooks into
5. remove screws that hold long padded vinyl piece under side windows
6. pop vinyl pieces away from sheet metal to allow access to plastic pop rivets that hold side carpeting (vinyl pieces will not come completely off)
7. pop off as many rivets as possible that are holding the side carpeting
8. side carpeting is bonded to a cardboard shell which is impossible to remove w/o removing the center divider so bend it back and reach behind it to peel back the rubber insulation
9. you should now be able to hold the carpeting shell/insulation back with one hand while removing the shock mount nuts with the other
10. installation is (of course) the reverse of removal
Hope this helps.
I am hoping someone else here has already done a rear suspension upgrade and can give me some pointers. I would love to have a short list of items to remove to get to the shock mounts from inside the hatch. If not, I guess I will be explaining how to do it for the next guy. Sunday is going to be a long day. Fortunately, I will have some help from some Very experianced E36 M3 guys.